Please see below for an explanation of year groups who automatically get free school meals, and for information of how to apply for free school meals for other year groups.
Universal Free School Meals
All pupils in reception, year one, and year two are entitled to a free school meal without having to apply for this option. Free school meal vouchers are not only distributed to children entitled to universal free school meals.
Eligibility for Free School Meals
The government made amendments to the eligibility criteria in April 2018. This is to reflect the introduction of Universal Credit.
PLEASE NOTE: Free school meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more than one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Provided you have an annual net income of no more than £7,400
- This is assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run on
- Paid four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
To claim Free School Meals
Telephone: 0345 600 6400
Revenues and Benefits
Benefit details for applications can be checked on receipt. However, if confirmation cannot be found, you will be contacted to provide proof of benefit.
The Revenues and Benefits Privacy Notices can be found on the Northumberland.gov.uk website.
The information you provide will be used to check if you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.